Thursday, February 18, 2010

Like a Flower Shop

Like a Flower Shop
1. Flower Shop, 2. Carnation Heaven, 3. The Blue Hat, 4. Flower Stall 1

It's no secret that I've been wanting to redo my room for a while now. While I do like how it is now, it just doesn't feel quite right. Many of the pieces were purchased for immediate necessity so I had to go with what was cheap and readily available. It's also become confused in design, pieces from my childhood and newer favorites all jumbled together. There are some things that I've known that I wanted to do for a while now, such as switching my furniture over to white pieces to freshen things up. Otherwise my mind has been a blank slate, and not in a positive way.

Until now that is! During my most recent trip to Home Goods I came face to face with a painting that spoke to me. It was a large canvas depicting a pretty flower shop in Paris. It was gorgeous and even though it was much to large for my space it gave me just what I needed. Inspiration. I want my room to be filled with the vibrant colors of nature. I want to feel as though I'm living in a flower shop. Considering my penchant for such things one would think this would have been an easy conclusion for me to reach, but it just never occurred to me until I saw that painting. I have so many ideas swirling around in my head, I can wait to bring some of them to life. I'm excited to have a direction again, one that feels authentically me. I have a feeling this new vision will start carrying over to other aspects of my life (this blog included) ♥

I've always been interested in seeing others' design processes... When you're working on something (from a painting to a website to a room design, anything!) how do you begin? Do you use directional phrases to help shape your style or do you go with the flow?

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I start by finding things that inspire me. This is usually going through the fairy tales section of a library, searching for images on tumblr or weheartit, or going through my attic or basement to look for things I've left behind. Currently I'm working off of some lovely wall hooks I found at Anthropologie, and I'm painting a pretty wall mural of an ornate picture frame to mount them on. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @misslumpy I love doing those things as well, particularly scouring the shelves at the library and losing hours to tumblr ♥ I love the sound of your project, it sounds like the results will be gorgeous! Thank you and good luck with yours as well!

    ReplyDelete