Thursday, May 7, 2009

Princess Day


Princess Day, originally uploaded by QuirkyCharm.

International Princess Day was on May 5th. Last year I spent the day with a packed schedule of activities, but this year I wanted to take the day to relax and to be inspired. This intention tied in perfectly with this month's princess challenge of using the day to focus on living in the present. That topic has been on my mind for the past couple of months after seeing it first mentioned on a self development blog. I've been meaning to put it into action, but there are times when I can be the queen of bad excuses so this was the perfect push I needed to give it a try.

I woke up early, just as the sun was beginning to peek over the mountains. Even in the desert the early morning is blissful with mellow weather and the chirps of birds (some newly hatched babies) from nearby trees. The patio was the perfect place to savor a mocha while sitting back in my chair to enjoy the sounds of the world waking up around me.

The rest of the morning was spent, for the most part, reading through inspiring magazines. While I normally flip though my stack during commercials this time I focused all of my attention on the beautiful, glossy pages. This change made such a difference, I felt more inspired than I have in a long time. I still feel that bubble of energy and inspiration, I can't wait to see where that leads.

As a part of living in the present moment I decided to go with the flow and make a spontaneous lunch to take with me to the park. Though the day had warmed up considerably it was still beautiful in the shade. While I was sitting on the bench I was even treated to seeing a family of adorable squirrels scurry between the bushes. My late afternoon activity of watching the Champion's League may not be a typical princess activity, but it was enjoyable just the same (my favorite team pulled off a spectacular victory). I'd even decided to eat the last of my favorite German chocolate that I've been saving for just the right moment.

To cap the evening off I went with my mom to see a fun movie (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past) and browse the bookstore. I may not have purchased anything, but being surrounded by books is bliss enough for me. It truly was a wonderful day.

After seeing the benefits of trying to live in the present moment it is definitely something I plan on incorporating into my life as often as possible. How was your Princess Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment