Friday, June 26, 2009

An Evening with André Rieu

On Wednesday night I had the great pleasure to attend my second André Rieu concert. It was a night of beautiful music, fanciful gowns, and great fun. He and his orchestra have such fun with classical music (from across generations, from the music of Beethoven to the love theme from Titanic and everywhere in between) and that fun is infectious. By the end of the night we were all on our feet swaying and clapping to the music, some taking to the eisles to dance. It was magical and is certainly something I would love to experience again.

Being able to go was something of a miracle in the first place. After going to his holiday show in 2007 I've been keeping an eye on concert dates, but when this was announced I was unable to afford the ticket price. A little while later free passes were put up on a local radio station's webpage, but I didn't have the points. A few weeks later by a stroke of fate I happened back onto the page to find the tickets at a level I could afford. I snapped them up immediately, a good thing as they were soon gone from the page. The magic didn't end there either. The ticket was originally for up in the risers, towards the top. However, as the seats in the arena weren't filled an usher was handing some of us tickets to move closer. In the end I was able to sit only ten rows back from the stage. What an unforgettable experience.

For those unfamiliar with his work he tends to pop up on PBS if you're curious to see what a full concert is like. Here are a few clips off of youtube as well:







If you ever get the chance to see him live I would very much recommend the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment