Sunday, July 31, 2011

Unexpected Moments

Something Unexpected

Have you ever had a completely unexpected moment take your breath away? I was standing in William Carr's gallery yesterday looking at a photo of water rushing through a crack in the rocks strewn with vibrant autumn leafs. One of the gallery workers noticed my interest and explained that Carr straddled the crack and got in close to take the detail shot. A shot that could have easily been missed if he had only been paying attention to the grand beauty of Zion.

How often do I miss amazing moments, the magic of the everyday, just because I get so caught up in the bigger picture. I forget, more frequently than I would like to admit, about taking pleasure in the details. And less than twenty four hours later I was already getting caught up in a few pitfalls that hit the fan late last night. Fighting back against depression and the desire to hermit, mom dragged me out of the house to have a little adventure in the rain.

Let me state this now, if you didn't already know this about me, rainy days make me happier than just about anything. I love it all, seeing the droplets splash against the ground, the scent of the salty air, the feel of enveloping dampness, hearing the rhythmic drops against nearby plants. Pure, restorative bliss. And then, after having all tension and worry had left my body, I found this. A charming little gold flower against the cobblestone path. It was like God was giving me a little nudge. This is what I'm supposed to be doing. This is where joy lives. Not in worry, or anticipation, or fret. But in the present moment. I want that, the magic of ordinary moments. That's where I find my bliss.

So here's to more adventures. More walks with my camera. More happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment