Friday, February 27, 2009

Looking Back, Looking Forward

For a good majority of this month I've been waging an internal debate of how to post this (or even if I was going to post it at all), but ultimately I've decided to go ahead with it because this month has changed my perspective on life in so many ways.

On February 10th my grandfather died. This hit truly close to home as my grandparents played a large part in my upbringing due to the absence of my father. He was a father to me. I remember listening to his fascinating stories of his time in the military and his many travel adventures from a time before I was born. I remember sharing the special connection of our strange food taste that no one else in the family could quite understand. I remember watching him for hours in the workshop that was our garage. He changed my life in so many ways. When the news came in I didn't know what to do. I was deep in grief and a feel of numbness all but consumed me whole for the past weeks.

I've since made my peace with my emotions. I know he is in a better, happier place now and I certainly cannot begrudge him that after all of the pain he'd been in over the past few years. It's not like me to sit around and mope (though that's what I've spent the better part of the month doing) so this is my way of reflecting on the lessons I've learned these past few weeks so I can move on to treasuring my memories.

Life is precious. It is our utmost treasure and it is something we should cherish everyday. Even when it feels like the world is to harsh a world there is always someone who you make a difference for. Everyday is a new gift, one that should be enjoyed to the fullest. Even the grayest of clouds has a sliver lining. Let go of past regrets in order to be free to face the world with your brightest, most sincere smile. Replace hate with love. Embrace the world with open arms. Delight in the simple pleasures.

What does all of that mean for me? I've spent a good deal of this week pondering (and a good deal of my day today plotting lists on paper) so I'm beginning to have an idea. I don't know all of the specifics yet, but I do know that I want to embrace this beautiful and bountiful life with open arms. I want to revel in creativity and kindness. With Sunday comes a new month and with that I hope to have a fresh start of the best sort. More to come, soon. I have some pretty wonderful plans ahead of me and I'm looking forward to sharing them with all of you. With this post has come a new path for this blog, a path I am looking forward to walking and cultivating. In the meantime I hope you are all doing well and may this spring be the season of amazing new possibilities for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment