Saturday, July 25, 2009

Time in the Kitchen


1. My kitchen corner, 2. Home in the kitchen, 3. New Kitchen Set Up, 4. Kitchen

You've probably been getting an idea from my posts today, but I love spending time in the kitchen. I love developing new recipes, both sweet and savory. While I did bake in the kitchen with my grandma as a young girl my passion for it didn't develop until a few years ago. After graduating high school my college schedule finished up in the early afternoon while my mom and stepdad both worked late. Since I was (and am) living at home I wanted to do something to help so I took over cooking duties. I've since cooked dinner every night. I'm honestly amazed at how far I've come. I started out terrified of raw meat (I was raised to overcook everything to avoid food poisoning) and have since come to appreciate the many ways of cooking it (I would never order a steak above medium/medium rare now). I had no clue how to prepare fresh vegetable and most of my sides and baked goods came from a box. Now I eat things that I had never would have dreamed and I'm always excited to something. I've had so many people ask me how I've gotten to this point and I do have a few tips: Frequent practice is key! Read as many cookbooks and recipe blogs as you can find and try all sorts of new things. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Step outside of your comfort zone from time to time.

What are some kitchen-related memories you have? Any favorite recipes?

I'm perky and back on the ball again after a nice snack. I am wishing that my laptop's internet was working though, this chair is getting a little uncomfortable.

Song of the Half Hour: Touch Ya - Rain

1 comment:

  1. My fondest memory is probably baking muffins with my mom when I was younger.

    Now that I'm old enough to bake by myself, I enjoy whipping up a pound cake or heating up blueberry pancakes.

    ReplyDelete