Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Trip to the Orchard

Apple Orchard

In an attempt to cross #5 off of my Twelve by 2012 list I took a Saturday afternoon jaunt to the local orchard and 'pick your own' field. Now, being in the desert, we don't have the towering trees and and vast landscapes one imagines when thinking of an apple orchard. Let's face it, 100°F weather just isn't conducive to tree growth and maturation. That considered, Gilcrease is a pretty wonderful place. Rows upon rows of apple and pear trees followed by a respectable vegetable field (even a pumpkin patch for Halloween). I had the worst timing as they had just run out of apples, but it was nice to wander around just the same. I will return again another day, hopefully with more success. On the bright side? Apple cider doughnuts fresh from the frier. I don't think it gets any better than that.

Gilcrease Orchard

Pick Your Own

Vegetable Fields

Fresh Cider Doughnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment